Monday, February 21, 2011

Gender Perspective: Vagina Monologues

Back in 2007 I was able to watch a performance of the Vagina Monologues in Austin, TX. The performance was located at a venue outside called The Enchanted Forest. Typical shows included independent, amateur events such as fire dancing, interpretive theatre and music artist (DJ and performance). At the time, I had never heard or seen the Vagina Monologues. After hearing the title, I thought of it as a play in which women were the focus. As a male, I had no idea what to expect, and that gave the monologues more influence in leaving a long standing impression on my thoughts and future actions.
After the first couple minutes, the audience was in a trance. There was a huge turnout to watch the performances, more than 500 people. I had never heard such a graphic account of women's experiences, ecspecially of sexual molestation and harassment. It was shocking because of how our culture teaches us at an early age not to talk about denotations and connotations of vaginas. Not until this semester, 2011, when I watched the movie "VDay: Until the Violence Stops" did I understand the significance. Eve Ensler, the leader behind raising and gaining awareness for women and their experiences, made some excellent points about the "culture of silence" and by advocating for silence, one in a sense is advocating for the oppressive facets that are horrendous and unacceptable. Her emphasis is for our culture, the global culture of women and men, to not shun and silent experiences. Even if those experiences may be negative. Because the underlying issue that needs to be addressed is for females to have the opportunity and confidence to relay their experiences, to develop off those experiences; but in large that whatever experience it is, it is the same significance and same importance and same influence as any male experience. Women should be encouraged to live through their experiences, therefore evening the plane between gender expectations.

3 comments:

  1. This was an awesome entry. I had heard about The Vagina Monologues before, but had no idea what it was about. I too thought it was going to be a women focused event, but after reading this I see it was much more than that. It's also really cool to get a guys perspective on it. Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea. No one puts much thought into negative experiences focused on women. It is sort of a hush hush topic and we never see an event like this one very often it’s very cool. It is funny by the name that you don't really know what to expect but it still interests people at the same time. It’s a very well thought out event and idea I must say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate the things brought about in this post. I wasn't aware of VDay until my girlfriend brought it to my attention. I can see why it is hush hush. However, more of us men need to see this so we understand what women have to go through. That way we can help this movement stop violence against women and girls.

    ReplyDelete